This unbridled bedlam comes courtesy of the Democrat left. Their peaceful, easy feeling toward criminals no longer is cute. Pictured: A police officer lights a candle during a vigil Monday at the New York Police Department’s 32nd Precinct in Harlem after the fatal shootings of two young officers. (Photo: David Dee Delgado/Getty Images)
Fight Crime: Arm America’s Citizens
America’s surge in grotesque, random mayhem has become a coast-to-coast crime epic.
- Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and 10 other cities set new murder recordslast year. Democratscontrol all 12 locales.
- Police accuse Shawn Laval Smith, a violent “homeless” man, of fatally stabbing UCLA graduate student Brianna Kupfer on Jan. 13 while she worked in a Hollywood furniture store.
- Detroit resident Devonne Marsh is charged with setting his girlfriend on fire. She was six months pregnant, with twins. Despite this atrocity and his criminal record, Marsh was released on $5,000 bond.
- According to Atlanta police, during a drive-by shooting, rap sheet-bearing Dequasie Little’s stray bullet killed 6-month-old Grayson Fleming-Grayin his car seat.
- “Homeless” people, among others, shoved five New Yorkers onto subway tracks this month, one fatally. Thirty people were muscled onto NYC’s underground railsin 2021, versus 26 in 2020—a jump of 15.4%.
- Officials say Keber Martinez, 25, opened fire and injured another man Tuesday in a Bronx hospital’semergency room.
- Five NYPD officers have been shot this month, including Jason Rivera, 22, and Wilbert Mora, 27. Five-time arresteeLashawn McNeil fatally shot Rivera and Mora during a domestic squabble in Harlem, police say.
This unbridled bedlam comes courtesy of the Democrat left. Their peaceful, easy feeling toward criminals no longer is cute. It now induces death.
In a closely related problem, violent criminals often are “homeless.” Focusing on their housing is like giving skin cream to those with congestive heart failure. The “homeless” do not need “affordable housing.” They require mental hospitals, brave psychiatrists, and healing pharmaceuticals.
Beyond addressing “homelessness” rather than lawlessness, the left’s autonomic response is to control guns, not illegal shooters. Remove the latter, and guns suddenly become inert.
After Brianna Kupfer’s murder in Los Angeles, why didn’t leftists demand knife control? Given Gotham’s wave of subway shovings, why not hand control?
These palliatives miss the point: America needs criminal control and, whenever possible, criminal elimination.
The time is now to arm the American people: Law-abiding citizens deserve maximum freedom to acquire guns, defend themselves against criminals, and, when appropriate, erase them.
Too bad it has come to this. But here we are.
The Democrat left’s robust campaign to defund, demoralize, and demonize the police has worked beautifully. On a good day, decent, industrious, dedicated police officers patrol the streets with their tails between their legs. Others stay in their squad cars and observe crime.
Numerous left-wing “prosecutors” proudly refuse to enforce the law. A real-life Dr. No—the über-evil George Soros—sponsors Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin, Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon, and others. They believe that DA means “defense attorney.”
With the entire criminal justice system in collapse, the last resort is to let Americans pack heat. The mere presence of armed citizens will deter some criminals. The hardier weeds can be yanked out, once and for all, with sober aim and the swift infusion of lead.
Police say a violent lunatic named Simon Martial, 61, fatally shoved Michelle Go, 40, onto the subway tracks at Times Square on Jan 15. If Go were armed, she could have liquidated the “homeless” ex-con who allegedly murdered her and later declared: “I’m God.” Martial never would have bothered anyone again.
Consider Darrell Brooks, the whacko who drove his SUV over 68 people in Waukesha, Wisconsin, on Nov. 28, killing six. If an earlier victim on Brooks’ 50-page rap sheet had neutralized him years ago, 62 people would be unwounded and six more would not be dead. And bloodthirsty Brooks would be in a box beneath 6 feet of dirt.
Also, many gunowners merely wear their weapons. Conspicuous, holstered handguns can repel assailants—as garlic spooks vampires. Potential crime victims sometimes brandish their weapons. Like ballistic missiles, firearms need not go off to keep the peace.
This policy can be implemented with sensible precautions: Gun permit applicants should be law-abiding, sane, and trained in firearms safety.
But within these commonsense parameters, the next step cannot happen too soon:
Arm the American people!
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor, a contributing editor with National Review Online, and a senior fellow with the London Center for Policy Research.